Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Can Keegan come out and play?

There was a knock at our door last night and to my surprise it was the little girl, Abby, from two houses down.  Abby is the youngest of 3 girls, she is always outside playing and is cute as a button.  When I opened the door she asked "Can Keegan come out and play?" - It took me a second to respond, because I don't think I was ready for it, definitely not expecting it.  Did she just ask if my little Keegan could come out and play?  I was a little shocked that my little baby girl is turning into a "BIG" girl and was already being asked to come out and play.  Finally, with maybe a little too much excitement I said, "OF COURSE SHE CAN".  I was so excited for Keegan, so I quickly put her shoes on and hurried her outside.  I grabbed her bike from our back porch and watched them ride their bikes.

After riding for about 20 minutes they decided to go to Abby's backyard and play on the swing set.  Of course that got old quick too and decided to play basketball, but as you can imagine Keegan is still a little too small to get the ball anywhere near the basket so they quickly went on to the next thing... Hide & Seek.  This was actually quite funny, because from what I know, Keegan has never played this.  She was up to hide first and went to just stand under the play-set out in the open, so I had to teach her to hide correctly.  Of course she was found quickly and was on to being the counter.  She counted to 20 all by herself and found her little friend Abby all by herself.  


Then Abby asked if she could come to our house to play, so off we went back to our house.  I was a little nervous, because she was 6 and Keegan is 3... I wondered if she would actually like anything at our house or if everything would be too "kiddy" for her.  I quickly got out the crayons, markers, construction paper, coloring books, and play-doh for them to play with on the dining room table.  Luckily that entertained them for 30 minutes or so and then they ventured back into the living room looking at me for something to do... 

THE TEA SET.... I remembered that G.G. (Great Grandmother Laura) had given Keegan a little tin tea set for her birthday.  I filled up the tea pot with some water and gave them some Nilla Wafers and they were set to have a tea party.  They actually played tea party for a long time and finally at about 8:45pm, I told the girls they would need to wrap things up because we would need to walk Abby home soon.  Soon after saying this, little Abby looks up at me and said with a huge smile "I am having so much fun." OMG - what a little sweetheart! I was so tickled that she was having such a good time, considering I was so worried our house was going to end up being a bore.  9pm rolls around and Abby's dad was waiting outside for her when we went to walk her home.  We told her father she can come over anytime. 

So, yesterday was Keegan first invite to "come out and play".  She is growing up so fast! 


1 comment: